Towing Vessel means a commercial vessel engaged in or intending to engage in the service of pulling, pushing, or hauling alongside, or any combination of those actions.
Certain Dangerous Cargo
(CDC) includes any of the following:
- Division 1.1 or 1.2 explosives as defined in 49 CFR 173.50.
- Division 1.5D blasting agents for which a permit is required under 49 CFR 176.415 or, for which a permit is required as a condition of a Research and Special Programs Administration exemption.
- Division 2.3 “poisonous gas”, as listed in 49 CFR 172.101 that is also a “material poisonous by inhalation” as defined in 49 CFR 171.8, and that is in a quantity in excess of 1 metric ton per vessel.
- Division 5.1 oxidizing materials for which a permit is required under 49 CFR 176.415 or for which a permit is required as a condition of a Research and Special Programs Administration exemption.
- A liquid material that has a primary or subsidiary classification of Division 6.1 “poisonous material” as listed in 49 CFR 172.101 that is also a “material poisonous by inhalation,” as defined in 49 CFR 171.8 and that is in a bulk packaging, or a quantity in excess of 20 metric tons per vessel when not in a bulk packaging.
- Class 7, “highway route controlled quantity” radioactive material or “fissile material, controlled shipment,” as defined in 49 CFR 173.403.
- All bulk liquefied gas cargo carried under 46 CFR 151.50-31 or listed in 46 CFR 154.7 that is flammable and/or toxic and that is not carried as certain dangerous cargo residue (CDC residue).
- The following bulk liquids except when carried as CDC residue:
- Acetone cyanohydrin;
- Allyl alcohol;
- Chlorosulfonic acid;
- Ethylene chlorohydrin;
- Ethylene dibromide;
- Oleum (fuming sulfuric acid);
- Propylene oxide, alone or mixed with ethylene oxide.
- The following bulk solids:
- Ammonium nitrate listed as a Division 5.1 (oxidizing) material in 49 CFR 172.101 except when carried as CDC residue; and
- Ammonium nitrate based fertilizer listed as a Division 5.1 (oxidizing) material in 49 CFR 172.101 except when carried as CDC residue.
Assistance Towing means towing a disabled vessel for consideration as defined in 46 U.S.C. 2101.
Limited Geographic Area means a local area of operation as determined by the local COTP. This area is usually within a single harbor or port.
Workboat means a vessel that pushes, pulls, or hauls alongside within a worksite.
Worksite means an area specified by the cognizant OCMI within which workboats are operated over short distances for moving equipment in support of dredging, construction, maintenance, or repair work. A worksite may include shipyards, owner's yards, or lay-down areas used by marine construction projects. This definition does not include the movement of barges carrying oil or hazardous material in bulk.
Public Vessel means a vessel that is owned, or demise chartered, and operated by the United States Government or a government of a foreign country; and is not engaged in commercial service.
Rivers means a route on any river, canal, or other similar body of water designated by the cognizant OCMI.
Version 3.72 (ITV Electronic Job Aid) Developed by USCG, PTC, Yorktown, VA and the Coast Guard Towing Vessel National Center of Expertise